Lot Size8,712 sqft
Days on Market42
How to Save on Energy Costs in Your Home
- February 16, 2021
According to the Energy Department, the average American household can spend up to $2,000 a year just on energy costs! While you do need to keep the lights on, air conditioning, water heating, and other features can be costly. Modifying your energy usage can help cut down your energy bills, and help you save on energy costs in your home!
Here are some tips to effectively cut energy costs down:
1. Make Sure All of Your Windows and Doors are Sealed: While this may seem like a given, it is one of the biggest culprits for high energy bills! Unsealed windows, especially in an older home can let cold air in during the winter months, and let the AC escape during the summer! A bad seal on a window or door will mean that the energy is escaping, and it is hurting your wallet in the process.
2. Adjust Your Freezer and Fridge: The temperature in your freezer and fridge will make a difference on energy costs! Set your fridge temperature to 38 degrees, and adjust your freezer between 0 and 5 degrees. It can still keep your food fresh, but both of your appliances will not need to strain to consistently maintain the temperature.
3. Check the Efficiency of Your Appliances: Appliances that are older and less efficient can often be costly when it comes to your energy bill! Consider upgrading some of your less efficient appliances to more eco-friendly ones. Check your fridge, washer, dryer, dishwasher, and oven!
4. Replace Your Shower head: While this may seem odd, replacing your shower head with one that is energy efficient can reduce your water usage! In some cases, efficient shower heads can reduce it by at least 2,700 gallons a year. In order to find one that is energy efficient, look for one that has met the criteria by the Environmental Protection Agency.
5. Change Your Lightbulbs: If you have not done so already, consider changing your lightbulbs to more energy efficient ones. This can help you save on costs, and keep your wallet happy!