Lot Size6,970 sqft
Home Size1,812 sqft
Days on Market34
A Few Tips for Selling Your Home in Encinitas
- Real Estate Tips
- carlsbad homes, Encinitas Homes, Encinitas House, home in carlsbad, home in encinitas, house in encinitas, tips to selling your home
- April 7, 2010
When you are trying to sell your home in Encinitas or your home in Carlsbad, you should think of your home like a person going on a job interview. A hiring manager would be more likely to hire someone who is well kept, exceptionally dressed, and is overall prepared for the interview over someone who is unclean, dressed in shorts and a t-shirt, and who forgot their resume. As a licensed Realtor in Encinitas, I’ll tell you right off the bat that you’re much much more likely to sell your Encinitas home if it is prepared and presentable rather than a house that is in disarray and messy.
Here’s a couple of tips and hints that you can do quickly (and quite cheaply), yet could add thousands of dollars to the final selling price you’ll get on your Encinitas home:
1. Start with the obvious: clean the place up!You should not have toys spilled around the house, dirty laundry thrown on the floors, or your kids’ homework scattered across the counter. Like the first step to a job interview, you need to clean the place up. Take a day with your family and do a thorough house cleaning, paying attention to the smallest of details…because you know someone who is buying a home in Encinitas is going to be quite meticulous in making sure every inch of the home is absolutely perfect. So be sure to get your house nice and clean before putting it on the market.
2. Detach yourself from the house.I know it’s difficult to do, but you must remember that your house now is a commodity, and you must treat it as such. That means putting the family pictures away, taking down the framed Tony Gwynn jersey in the basement, boxing up family heirlooms, and getting all your personal additions to the home out of sight. Potential buyers will be imagining their own pictures and possessions on the walls and on the shelves, and they can’t do that when all they see is the pictures of your last ski trip in their way. So as hard as it may sound, you need to make the home comfortable and accustomed to potential buyers, not to yourself.
3. Organize! Organize! Organize!Rearrange your spice rack in alphabetical order. Separate the food in your cupboard by size. Throw out old Chinese take out that’s been in the fridge for too long. Home buyers will snoop around your home (trust me, they will). You want to make it seem like you are a very organized and neat person, and that will make you seem more credible when they consider your offer. Or, to be more blunt, imagine what a buyer would think when they open a cabinet and a coffee glass falls out because it’s just crammed in with all the others. So be sure to get all your cabinets, closets, pantries, and drawers nice and organized to send out a message to potential buyers that you are a neat and organized individual yourself.
4. Minor repairs lead to major bucks!Have some chips in the wood floors? Worried about all those holes in the walls from the nails that your pictures hang from? Concerned that your child’s red or purple walls are too “loud” for potential buyers? Fixing up little projects will add more to the majesty of your home in Encinitas, even if it’s just buying some Spackle for the holes and dings in your walls and a couple turns of the screwdriver to tighten up that screen door.
A quick note on paint colors: warm earth tones can make a small room (like a spare bedroom or the kids’ room), look much bigger than it really is, and the warm colors are also easier on the eyes than more bolder colors. So stick with taupe and cream, and even light blues and light greens will make a room seem bigger without taking away from the charm of the room!
5. Your yard is part of your home to, ya know!This shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone looking to sell your home in Encinitas, but you should make sure to have your lawn mowed, the bushes and shrubs trimmed, clean up any debris, and be sure that your home looks like a home. Take a look outside and view your home as a buyer would. The outside of your home is the first thing a buyer will see, and it should have the same if not more attention than the rest of the home when you are looking to spruce your house up for a sale.
Remember, it’s not easy selling a home, especially in today’s housing market in Encinitas. You should choose a Realtor in Encinitas and I am more than happy to help you. If you are looking to sell your home in Encinitas, visit my website and I’ll share more of my expertise with you so that you can quickly sell your home and get the most money for it!